Delicious South African Amarula dessert
Meet our Amarula ice-cream with our play on honeycomb - our most requested recipe at all of our lodges. When guests love it so much and keep asking for the recipe, you know it's a winner! We love putting a scoop of this into an espresso with Amarula or Amaretto, for a cheeky after dinner affogato.
Thank you to Chef Cornelius from Redbourne Country Lodge for this delicious recipe, now loved and served at all Lion Roars Hotels & lodges.
AMARULA ICE CREAMIngredients:
- 1 litre heavy whipping cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tots Amarula - add more if desired
- Beat heavy cream in a bowl using an electric mixer until soft peaks form;
- Add sweetened condensed milk and beat until thick and well combined.
- Fold in Amarula until mixed well
- Transfer mixture to a shallow container and cover with plastic wrap;
- Freeze until solid, about 6 hours
Our spin on honeycomb:Ingredients:
- Butter, for greasing
- 200g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Butter a 20cm square tin
- Mix 200g caster sugar and 5 tbsp golden syrup in a deep saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has melted. Try not to let the mixture bubble until the sugar grains have disappeared
- Once completely melted, turn up the heat a little and simmer until you have an amber coloured caramel (this won’t take long), then as quickly as you can turn off the heat, tip in 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda and beat in with a wooden spoon until it has all disappeared and the mixture is foaming
- Scrape into the tin immediately but be careful as the mixture will be very hot
- The mixture will continue bubbling in the tin, simply leave it and in about 1 hr to 1 hr 30 mins the honeycomb will be hard and ready to crumble or snap into chunks.
If you like being a bit indulgent, serve with some warm chocolate sauce drizzled on top.